Discus Tank Placement
When setting up their discus tank, many overlook one detail… where to put it!
WHY IS TANK PLACEMENT IMPORTANT?
If you are setting up a new discus tank, here are reasons why you should pay close attention to where you place it:
- Water spills can ruin your flooring.
- Too many people walking by can frighten your discus.
- You don’t want to be forced to walk to the other side of your house to change your tank’s water.
- To much light can cause algae to grow out of control.
- Sounds can scare your discus.
These are just a few. Let’s take a look at our checklist.
TANK PLACEMENT CHECKLIST
Here is what our experience has shown to be the best checklist to follow. It’s not the end all of lists. If you have more to share, please feel free to use the comment form below.
- Avoid Windows – By avoiding direct sunlight, you will limit the amount of algae growth that occurs. This is for your preferences.
- Avoid High Traffic Areas – People walking by can spook your discus and cause them to bump around in the tank.
- Keep at Adult Levels – Small kids love tanks! Love smacking them anyway… So be kind to your discus and keep them at adult height.
- Close to Water – Water changes are important. Plan your water-changing path and proximity.
- Solid Ground – Water weighs 8 pounds per gallon. Make sure the floor can hold up your tank!
- Climate Control – Avoid vents or windows that could cause the water temperature to spike or drop.
- Use Stands – Bricks and blocks are for buildings and gardens, not for holding up your tank. Use a tank stand.
- Spill Guard – Prepare for water on the floor ahead of time. Treat your carpet or floors against water spills.
The list above should will help you avoid some tank placement issues. A little bit of planning can go a long way.
- When you decide on aquarium placement, what factors are especially important for you to consider?
- What room do you plan to place your aquarium in?
- How many tanks do you have?
- How will you make sure that your tank is near a water source and it’s not too difficult for you to refill it?