A Deeper Dive into Discus Tank Substratespearls7_discus
- Your substrate should not be too large or too small. Between three and eight millimeters is best. If your grains are too small, they will suffocate and crush the roots. If your grains are too large, there will not be enough contact with the roots.
- Your substrate should not negatively affect your water chemistry. Make sure your substrate will not leech minerals and salts into the water. Because many substrates are designed for other uses, including salt water use, you should verify that it is safe to use the substrate in your discus aquarium.
SUBSTRATES FOR PLANTED AQUARIUMS
SUBSTRATES TO AVOID
Laterite (Cat Litter)
- Which substrate will you use in your discus aquarium?
- Which substrates will help nourish your plants?
- What size substrate is best for your aquarium?